The Art of a Balanced Life: A Yoga and Mind-Body Skills Group
Self-care is at the heart of real health and well-being. Join Krista Oberlander, LCSW in eight sessions to discover and learn self-care techniques to improve your health, well-being, resilience, and relationships. In addition to learning mindfulness and yoga techniques, you will gain an understanding of the physical and mental benefits of these powerful but simple methods of self-care. This group could also result in an improved ability to communicate more effectively with partners, friends and family based on your own wants and needs.
The group will be composed of 7–10 people and meet for 2-hour sessions. Other schedule options may be arranged as determined by the group.
Benefits of yoga and meditation activities include:
- Beneficial changes in brain wave activity
- Lowered heart rate and decreased blood pressure
- Change in neurotransmitter chemical levels
- Increased serotonin (helpful for sleep)
- Increased beta-endorphins
- Increased melatonin (also helpful for sleep)
- Increased acetylcholine
- Decreased cortisol (increases during stress)
- Decreased pain
- Improved mood
- Decreased anxiety
During the sessions we will explore these benefits, how they occur and which yoga and meditation activities bring about these benefits. Key dates are as follows:
- January 12, 19, and 26 – 10 am-12 pm: Three 2-hour sessions with emphasis on mind-body skills
- January 26 – February 13: Participants individually practice mind-body skills
- February 13th – 6:30 pm – 7:30 pm: Check-in meeting to update how practice has been going
- February 16, 23 and March 2 – 10 am-12 pm: Three 2-hour sessions with emphasis on yoga
- March 9 & 16 –10 am-12 pm: Two 2-hour sessions to integrate yoga and mind-body skills
- March 20 – 6:30 pm-7:30 pm: Planning for next steps and celebration of our work together
Sessions will be held at 3330 Washington Blvd #150. Arlington, VA. The cost of the 10 session program is $500. Sliding scale fee can be considered on a case by case basis.
If you are interested in the group or have any questions, please contact Krista Oberlander at 703-472-6291 or email using the following form: